Friday 9 January 2015


Hair

 
 The more I watch weird documentaries the more it dawns on me how similar at some level human beings are, yet so different when it comes to our thinking , I mean  for example which straight guy can say out loud that they believe in mermaids , still a promo on BET has an African guy saying out load that he believes in mermaids and  his actually making a movie/documentary about it , huh .. aint that a bitch ….

 
Mind limits can be seen as something negative or even fall under the classification of folks who just prefer things done their way and not try new things ,as they have psychological fears  which prevent them from moving past their own fears . The debate about African hair vs weaves is rooted so deep that most women believe that hair defines them and their natural hair is something that must just never be seen by their men/boyfriends .

 
I have rocked an afro as a kid, dreadlocks for 8 years , been bold ,rocked short hair, rocked gugu gaga weaves/braids when I felt like it, know why ?? because I wanted to !!, I never allowed hair to define who I am or how  another spirit sees me , as my personality/ Ubuntu bami should define who I am , not my hair or how I look ( but I know looks work faster than actually using your brain  these days and judgment is passed solely on how a person looks, as they say in the entertainment industry “branding is everything!! “ meaning you can even loose sight of who you are for the sake of “branding” ) .  The one thing I have experienced while I had  dreadlocks was folks assuming that I had weed all the time, guys falling in love with the fact that I have dreadlocks as appose to actually seeing me as I am fully , then had  my ex-boss at  one point asking me to make sure that I keep my locks clean so that I might appear sane ….( i.e not look like I am about to pop up weed! but eventually he got used to my hair at that time)

I have a few views on hair, the first one is the fact that women allow men to decide how they should look  and what looks hot on them and that’s bullshit!!!, I mean you will have a chubby/normal looking guy saying to a very beautiful woman that he thinks she would look much beautiful if she had long hair or had dreadlocks like Lauren Hill ( back in 1998) or she must never ever rock short hair , again I think that is bullshit period!!! .

Then you have the media/entertainment industry portraying these ideas on to girls that if you don’t rock an expensive weave then you are not attractive enough, then add on the “Conscious folks” who will say you are not African enough because you’re not rocking your own natural hair , I mean what are all these young and old women to think  other than have WTF moments and identity crisis , why do sooooo many folks/men have an opinion on hair???? Again WTF??

 

I personally think that black women ( as this issue really affects us most) should rock whatever style they think suites them  ( it’s bad enough we have to struggle with growth), just not be define by it or what your boyfriend/man thinks , as end of the day if someone is with you solely on the fact that you have the kind of hair they like and that’s it , girl running shoes on ( that’s all I am saying…)  , also we  live in a culture that wants to classify everything ,define everything , again pure bullshit!!. Women are hard on themselves and each other and until we sort that out , men will always have some control over our self esteem and funny thing about self esteem is “it’s a self thing” yet ends up being influenced by so many spirits who just want a dip in the cookie jar .

 

In my eyes I know I am so much more than my hair and if someone else fails to see it# then they can  F*** off period !!!

 

Love

B.
 

No comments: